Gemini by Crafter’s Companion is a handy cutting and embossing machine that can churn out precise material for your crafting needs each and every time. But is it enough to justify making a purchase?
Check out our Gemini die-cutting & embossing machine review and see if it fits your crafting needs. More importantly, the features outlined below should give you an idea of how it makes your craft hobby easier and more enjoyable.
What Is The Gemini?
On the product’s website, the Gemini is listed as an Embossing and Die-Cutting machine.
Its sleek, seemingly simple design belies the fact that there’s plenty of things you can do with it. The Gemini can cut intricate dies on a number of common crafting materials, including vinyl, heavyweight cardstock, foil, and fabric. Moreover, the machine is quiet enough that you won’t get distracted or sidelined from working on your project.
The low-profile shell is minimalist and offers a relatively compact footprint, which means you can set it up anywhere you want- on countertops, the coffee table or on your craft workstation without it taking too much space. The 9 by 12.5-inch size can cut US and A4 paper without too much waste. Multitaskers, take note- the Gemini can cut material using multiple dies simultaneously.
What Gemini by Crafter’s Companion has that other cutters and embossers don’t is the ability to reverse, pause and resume operations. While it may sound superficial to some, experienced crafters will welcome the feature as they’ll be able to complete quicker passes by reversing small dies and stopping the process once they realize that there’s an incorrect sandwich combination.
You don’t have to worry about compatibility being a factor when you get the Gemini. All embossing folders and thin metal dies are supported and should produce exactly the same results you’ve come to expect from a high-profile cutting machine.
The Gemini die-cutting and embossing machine comes ready right out of the box with some useful accessories.
Gemini Machine. Powerful enough to cut heavyweight cardstock and several layers of fabric, and yet quiet enough that noise becomes a non-factor. The improved pressure makes precision cutting easy and quick. Set it out, lay it on a flat surface and let the craft project begin!
All Shims Included. Both regular and special shims are already included, which makes it easier for people who want an all-in-one package rather than having to buy separate shims as add-ons.
Inside the box are 3 Gemini dies, a 3D embossing folder, metal cutting and clear cutting platforms, the power cable and a user guide.
How Does The Gemini Cutting & Embossing Machine Work?
Operating the Gemini machine is a pretty straightforward affair. First, choose your preferred embossing folder or die and get the material sandwiched in the appropriate plate. Feed the material down the front and push the button. Wait for the cutting machine to accept the pieces and out it comes with the cuts you want.
The wide feed area makes it so that you can put in as many dies as can fit on an A4 plate. This is easily Gemini’s greatest strength, as sometimes one pass is all you’ll need for a particular project.
From there, it’s just a matter of letting your creative juices flow. What material will you need, and what cuts would you want for your craft project? You can experiment or go with ones that you’ve learned from art class. Moreover, the Gemini machine can cut vinyl, card stock, glitter paper, denim, burlap, felt, foam, stencil films, leather, craft metal, and even balsa wood and chipboards. You think it, the Gemini should be able to do it!
If you have embossing folders and metal dies from other machines, then you’re in luck. Gemini should be able to accommodate all of them, including ones from Craftwell, My Favorite Things, Fun Stampers, Tattered Lace, Darice, Lawn Fawn, Cricut Cuttlebug, Spellbinders, Sizzix Thin and more.
Once you get used to working the Gemini, you start to understand nuances and the things you can do with the machine’s pressure. Cutting combinations and patterns can vary according to the plates, shims, and sandwiches you use.
The Gemini is a must-have for crafters who may have problems exerting the right amount of pressure for cutting craft materials. The auto-feed and the push-button mechanism is a one-and-done affair for all of your craft material needs. Your hobby becomes that more enjoyable as you won’t have to risk ruined materials with a hasty cut.
- Fully Automatic – Machines should make work easier, and the Gemini is no exception. Manual cutting and embossing are eliminated with Gemini. Zero manual crank means zero arm stress and more time putting things together.
- Large Cutting Area – The A4 size area means you’ll be able to load several, if not all the dies you need and have them all in one pass. The product’s compatibility with all thin metal dies ensure you won’t run out of designs to tinker with.
- The Reverse Button – Having this “panic button” can come in very handy from time to time. Discovering that you’ve loaded the incorrect combo, or that you want a deeper or more precise cut is a matter of pushing Reverse, making the adjustment and sending the sandwich in again. Reloading is no longer necessary and you waste less material as well.
- Cuts and Embosses A Wide Range of Materials – You won’t have to use a manual crank or several machines for a complicated project. Load up the Gemini, plug it in and you’re ready!
- Price – The cost of acquiring the Gemini isn’t cheap, but it’s an all-in-one cutting and embossing package that should service crafters well.
- Cutting Plates Need Regular Replacement – Consider it part of the auto-cutting deal. The same goes for magnetic shims, rubber mats, and other sandwich material.
Gemini by Crafter’s Companion is truly a crafter’s best friend. Make room for this machine in your workstation and you’ll be surprised at how much you can do. The price tag may be steep but it can prove to be everything you need to elevate your craft to the next level.